Welcoming the news that Dublin has been added to the list of venues for the 2012 Olympic torch relay, on 6 June next year, Niall Gibbons, chief executive of Tourism Ireland, said: “The announcement that Dublin will feature in the Olympic torch relay is wonderful news; it will be a fantastic opportunity to showcase the city and the island of Ireland.
With a global audience of about 4 billion, this is the largest sporting event in the world and over the coming year, Tourism Ireland will be working hard to maximise the tourism potential for Ireland of the London 2012 Olympic Games. The proximity of the Games provides Tourism Ireland with a wonderful opportunity. We intend to use the Olympics, and the surrounding global media coverage, to showcase Ireland as a top holiday and business destination and will deliver our message to a wide range of prospective visitors and audiences – through traditional, digital and social media.”
Tourism Ireland’s busy programme of promotional activity to target a wide range of potential visitors around the world in the run-up to and during the Games includes:
· Corporate Sponsors – Tourism Ireland is working with a number of the official agencies and official sponsors of the Olympic Games, to bring incentive and corporate meetings to Ireland during the games. A number of familiarisation visits have taken place, and are planned, in order to secure this lucrative business and the organisation continues to make presentations to the key agencies in London.
· PR – The Olympics have featured on the Tourism Ireland media-room website over recent weeks and the content will be further developed in the months ahead, in order to attract both accredited and non-accredited media to Ireland before, during and after the London Games. Additional PR opportunities associated with the Torch Relay which will also be exploited.
- Travel Trade – in order to secure additional business for Ireland, both as a result of displacement and additional long-haul opportunities, Tourism Ireland is working closely with tour operators in all our overseas tourism markets. The very welcome visa waiver scheme, announced earlier this year, presents additional opportunities which are being exploited in our emerging markets. A print piece, outlining all the reasons to travel to Ireland during summer 2012, called ‘Hop Skip and Jump to Ireland’ in 2012 has recently been updated and will be mailed to key tour operators. The organisation is also working with the official Olympics tour operators in a number of markets, to assist them in offering package extensions to Ireland for their clients who are attending the games.
- Consumer Marketing, London – Tourism Ireland in London is working on an extensive consumer marketing campaign during 2012 to target ‘displaced’ Londoners and those wanting to escape the games.
- Business Tourism and Golf – Tourism Ireland is currently finalising opportunities to drive awareness of the excellent conference facilities in Ireland to capture ‘displaced’ conferences and to build an awareness legacy among key agents and sponsors. There is a specific opportunity around golf as this will be introduced as an Olympic sport in 2016 and Ireland is currently the “Home of Major Champions”. A campaign around this theme is currently being developed.