- TripAdvisor has just published its top destinations for 2010.
- Dublin ranked number 8 in the Top 10 Nightlife Destinations in the World, just ahead of Bangkok and behind Newcastle-upon-Tyne. Makes you wonder!! The full list is:
1) New Orleans, 2) New York, 3) Las Vegas,
4) Buenos Aires, 5) London, 6) Berlin,
7) Newcastle-upon-Tyne, 8) Dublin, 9) Bangkok, 10) Sydney
- In TripAdvisor’s important Top 10 Outdoor & Adventure Destinations in Europe, we are happy to confirm Killarney in 5th position. The full list is:
1) Interlaken, Switzerland, 2) Lake District, UK
3) Zermatt, Switzerland, 4) Reykjavik, Iceland
5) Killarney, 6) Chamonix, France
7) Goreme, Turkey, 8) Cinque Terre, Italy
9) Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Germany
10) Snowdonia National Park, UK
- Only 3 European destinations made it into TripAdvisor’s Top 10 Outdoor & Adventure Destinations in the WORLD, Interlaken, the Lake District and Zermatt. The full list is:
1) Queenstown, New Zealand
2) Rocky Mountain National Park, Colorado
3) Masai Mara National Reserve, Kenya
4) Banff National Park, Alberta
5) Whistler, British Columbia
6) Interlaken, Switzerland
7) Lake District, UK
8) El Calafate, Argentina
9) San Carlos de Bariloche, Argentina
10) Zermatt, SwitzerlandNow there’s a challenge for Killarney, to break through to a world top 10 within a couple of years. And if you know Kerry, you can be sure they will do it!
- Another Irish achiever we missed first time around was Westport, which featured at number 9 in the Top 10 Relaxation & Spa Destinations in Europe. TripAdvisor describes it as “A true family destination, Westport boasts magnificent scenery, golf facilities, recreational fishing, sailing and yachting, beach swimming, hiking and cycling trails, and (to top it all off) a place called Pirate Adventure Park.”The ITIC Chairman is ecstatic!!
- But there are a few TripAdvisor categories where one might have expected some Irish representation:- Top 10 Culture & Sightseeing Destinations in the World
– Top 10 Emerging Destinations in the World
– Top 10 Romance Destinations in the World
– Top 25 Destinations in the World, chosen by Europeans
– Top 25 European Destinations, chosen by Europeans
– Top 10 Outdoor & Adventure Destinations in the World
- And here’s some great advice from one of the varied and interesting blogs which the earlier ezine drew, “One promo that TripAdvisor now uses is to print gratis, for any enterprise, comment or review prompt cards for distribution to guests. The industry should take this inititative with all appropriate new media and remind visitors to assist in the promotion of our country abroad.” Right on there, Michael in Lahinch.
- On the other hand, Ronnie in Connemara thinks the whole TripAdvisor league table thing is a “big sham” and just a passing fad. Might take a long time to pass Ronnie. Now surely Connemara is worthy of a placing in the Top 25 European Destinations, chosen by Europeans. Come on, you can do it, and join Killarney, Westport, Dublin and Galway in TripAdvisor’s Top 2011 Destinations. But I wouldn’t challenge Dublin on the nightlife category though.
- If you would like to comment on anything you’ve read here, VISIT OUR BLOG!