- Canada has been much in the news of late, it is a huge place, with a well run economy which has weathered the global economic crisis better than most countries.
- With a relatively small population for such a large country of 35 million, Canada is nevertheless the world’s 6th largest source market for international tourism, with Canadians making about 33 million outbound visits and spending $33 billion annually.
- As you would expect, the US is by far and away the most visited destination, France is the third most popular, followed by Britain, both attracting about three quarters of a million visitors annually. (Cuba by the way is the second most visited international destination after the US – one suspects climate maybe a factor here).
- Ireland on the other hand welcomes almost 120,000 Canadians annually. Not significant, but a figure that may be about to take off, literally.
- To learn more about this exciting Canadian potential, ITIC spoke with the newly appointed Head of North America for Tourism Ireland, Alison Metacalfe.
Click below to hear what she had to say.